Sunday, March 16, 2008

1st Korean Art Purchases

I purchased 3 paintings and two rice paper lamps yesterday. These are my first personal Korean art purchases. I bought my sister in law a rice paper lamp last year.

I had seen these three paintings in a store in Itaewon for at least one year. I have asked the owner to take them down from the wall for me to inspect on two occasions and have gone in to look at them on two other occassions. So I finally decided that if they were still on the wall, I would offer to pay for them at a discount.

The name of this store in Iteawon is Mont Blanc and they sell all kinds of jewerly, cereamic, and souvenirs.



This first painting is of a dragon and has an interesting hole in the middle.


This painting is of a tiger. I love how the tiger's wild eyes are staring at the bird in the tree.



This painting is neat because of the large metal protrusion of the dragon face. All of the art is by the same artist.


After buying this artwork and feeling good about it, I went to another store in Yongsan that sells hand crafted paper lamps. The one in this picture is the smaller of the two and I took it from the set that were on display. The other one I bought I had to put an order for because I wanted to combine a lamp design with a lamp shade color from different lamps that were on display. I should be able to pick those up in a week. These are cool because you can change 3 levels of brightness simply by touching the metal knob at the base.

I'm off to Japan this weekend. I'm hoping I can find some art from Japan to bring back with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home