Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Korean Language Slump

I'm totally feeling a slump in my Korean learning. There is a huge gap between the Korean I learn in my books and the Korean that is used by Koreans.

If all I had to do was read and write in order to communicate, I'd probably feel a little better. My Korean skills are heavily skewed toward reading and writing.

I have zero confidence in my speaking abilities, and I get too easily frustrated in speaking situations.

I can't understand what people say to me even though I should because I know the meanings of the words. I think some people are naturally good at hearing foreign languages. I think I'm not one of them.

Next week will mark 1 year 7 months since I first moved to Korea. I've spent 2 months away from Korea on trips during that time. I've been studying Korean for nearly a year and I had really hoped my speaking ability would be better by now. In fact, I think I've gotten worse at speaking Korean in the last few months.

I'm considering going back to the Korean language academy in Gangam, but I haven't decided yet. I would really like a chance to speak the Korean I know in a comfortable environment.

I'll think about it whilst sipping a glass or two of Makoli.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 16, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Blogger Why am I here??? said...

I feel the same way.........it's definately hard to see progress and easy to get discouraged!!!

Keep on truckin'

 
At April 16, 2008 at 5:29 AM, Blogger Ed Provencher said...

Thanks. I wouldn't be satisfied with giving up. I'm sure it's all related to the learning curve's ups and downs. Eventually, I will have my day in the sun. :-)

 
At October 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Blogger Martin said...

I'm a brand new visitor to your blog. While I was looked up your postings, I could find many intertesting points in Korean language which native korean have not find out hitherto.

By the way, I'm wondering if you could answer a question of a nuance of english words.

"shut up, thank you." btw perfect strangers.

You may know the recent case foreign tutor in Korea hit an old man in a bus in Korea.(http://vo.to/ZZ)
The old guy said to the tutor who spoke loud in a bus.

Is
"shut up, thank you" offensive remark enough to piss anybody off to hit the counterpart?(I know the meaning of it, but I don't exactly know the degree of offensiveness.)
(미안, I could not find a proper thread.)

 
At October 5, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Blogger Ed Provencher said...

Hello Martin.

In America, there are people who will react to being told "Shut up, thank you" by becoming violent. Being told to "shut up" in English is quite offensive.

There are more polite ways to request that someone not speak too loudly. For example, "Excuse me, would you mind being a little quieter while on the bus? Thank you." or "Pardon me, but could you keep your voice down while on the bus? Thank you."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home