Thursday, April 24, 2008

New Korean Friends

I made some new Korean friends last Sunday while juggling at the park. Two girls were watching me juggle for a while and then began talking to me on my break. They happened to be at the park to watch a traditional Korean music performance. I love that kind of music so we decided to watch it together.

One thing led to another and we had dinner together after the show. While having coffee we decided to meet for a language exchange. So on Wednesday we met for about 3 hours and practiced English and Korean.

These girls are really cool so it makes for an interesting time when we are together. We are going to meet again for a mountain climb and study session at the top of the mountain on Sunday.

I'm sure my speaking ability will improve a lot by hanging out with them, so I'm really happy about it. It's really my first attempt to make Korean friends for the sole purpose of speaking Korean with them. I've been waiting for my Korean to be at a level which would make this possible for me without giving me stress. I don't think I would be so interested in these girls if they weren't fun to be around.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At May 3, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Blogger ambearo said...

Nice blog. ^^ I tagged you for a silly meme thing. Feel free to disregard it. I've never done one before and I don't know a lot of people with blogs.

 
At May 8, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Blogger THE EAST said...

Hi

I am a publisher of THE EAST; the only English newspaper, which is mainly focused on the East Asian information (at the beginning of every month, more than 12,000 free copies are distributed throughout the London area, particularly, where East Asian Networks are established).

I looked at your blog the other day and have been wondering if there would be any chance that we could publish some of your interesting articles on the paper.
We think some of your blog articles should be very helpful to the Westners who are interested in Asian Culture.
The East cannot afford to pay for your articles right now (as we are non-profitable organisation). However, if you wish, we can still offer you:
1. Advertising space
2. Link to THE EAST web site blog section

We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Hyung Wook Lee
Publisher
MBA(Edin)

THE EAST, The East Asian Monthly Business Newspaper,
Elephant Consulting Limited, 37 Charter Court, Linden Grove,
New Malden, Surrey, KT3 3BN, UK
Tel : + 44 (0) 7912 608 321 / Web site: www.theeast.org / E mail : publisher@theeast.org
Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 6254454

 
At May 18, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Blogger Bicyclesidewalk said...

Ed -
Great way to sharpen your speaking skills.
Is Korean your first foreign language?
nathan
www.bicycle-sidewalk.com

 
At May 18, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Blogger Ed Provencher said...

Well I studied some Spanish in high school, but I didn't try very hard and consequently didn't learn very much. I tried to learn some Arabic while I lived with two Saudis for a couple months. So I'd say this is my first foreign language that I'm taking seriously.

I've reached my 1 year anniversary of studying daily on April 1. I was in Korea for 6 months before I enrolled in my first class, so I've been 'exposed' to Korean a little longer. I don't think the exposure did much to speed up my learning.

From your videos, Nathan, it seems like your Japanese is perfect. I don't see how the potato man could say your Japanese is broken, but what do I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home